The House of Jane--Part One


The House of Jane

Part One

Who's House? Jane's House!



The train to Alton takes about an hour and fifteen minutes. When that train is delayed it takes about ninety minutes. When one is caught in London traffic on their way to Waterloo station, then it takes about two hours. As I boarded the train to Alton, I had this silly feeling. I felt that if my teenage self could have been here, he would scarcely believe that he was finally going to Chawton. I could scarcely believe it as an adult.




It’s evident why people travel to Alton. The banner with a well-known silhouette and the dates 1775-1817, and the words, “This way to Jane Austen’s house!” are a complete give away. Though one is encouraged to literally follow in her footsteps and walk the forty-odd minutes to her cottage, I decided to take a cab. Luckily there’s a cab stand in front of the train station. Clearly someone was enterprising enough to consider flatfoot travelers from across the globe.


A short cab ride through the Hampshire country side, and the cabbie said to me, “That’s her house on the left.”

I thanked him, and then exited.

What stood in front of me was a Tudor era house. The red brick walls were both practical and charming. Two plaques out front told made it very clear whose house this was.

            I took a deep breath, put my hand on the wall to the front door, and then closed my eyes. There was a warmth and a vibrancy that I felt. It was as if the house itself was living; as if it had absorbed the love and care that goes into keeping it standing all these centuries. As I stepped inside, I thought, “I can’t believe I’m here.”

            There are no guided tours of Jane Austen’s house, which is a good thing. Instead, there is an attendant that answers questions, and gives a brief overview of Jane’s life. I liked that I was free to roam about the house unfettered. I have a feeling that the people who run the house and museum know why the visitors come here, and so little guidance is needed.

            I stepped into the front parlor and saw the piano (similar to the one that Jane herself played). Sheet music from the Emma Thompson version of Sense and Sensibility sat at the ready, along with scores from Playel, and other composers Jane would have enjoyed.  I then turned to my right and saw what I’d travelled thousands of miles to see with my own eyes.

            Jane’s writing table.

            It has been said that when people see it they begin to cry. I was no exception. I didn’t weep, but tears began to form. I felt my pulse quicken, and a rush inside my chest. I was alone in the room with the table, and so I had it all to myself, so to speak. I began to smile, and imagined her slender frame sitting at that table. It was just as slight as her, with the table top just barely above the level of my knees. Only that top, smooth, with two deep pockmarks, is original. The pedestal it sits on was 20th century in origin, as the original was damaged some time ago. There’s a small Perspex wall that prevents one from sitting at the table. But thankfully, the table isn’t encased in glass like some other museum. Instead it is allowed to breath. There is a note that says, “Please do not touch,” which is respected. Just to be in the room with it, and to see it…it’s like you’re seeing the cradle of a proud mother’s children. Jane didn’t just write, she birthed her works on that table. From there the lives of many were forever changed.



            “I am never too busy to think of S&S. I can no more forget it than a mother can forget her sucking child.”—Jane to her sister, Cassandra. 1811.

            Reverend Austen’s desk, with its attached bookshelf, was on display as well. It also looked frozen in time. I perused the spines of the age-old volumes through the doors of the glass cabinet. Many of the authors and poets that were referenced in her novels were on display. It was here that her father wrote his sermons, along with family letters.  

Also, on display was the tea cabinet, which Jane herself held the key to, as tea was expensive back then. I was happy to report that she too was an avid customer of Twinning and was known to frequent their shop (still in it’s original location) in The Strand. Silver tea services with the Austen family crest, the stag and crown, were prominently on display.

I took a turn upstairs, and made certain to the touch the railing, which I know Jane’s own hands would have trailed along. Up those narrow stairs one can reach a small room with creaking floorboards; Jane’s bedroom. She would have shared it with her sister, Cassandra, as it was the custom back then. I took small pleasure in that the floorboard creaked at every step and gave me the feeling that I was standing on the original wood. The wallpaper was a repro of the original wallpaper she would have seen every day; with a small exposed section to show you the wood bracing inside the walls.

Again, the other visitors stepped out, and I was alone in the room.

The thought of, “I’m alone in Jane’s bedroom,” came to mind. I laughed inwardly, and then thought, “It’s taking every ounce of energy not to dance about the room.”

I was glad I had those few moments alone. I could feel a sort of presence there. Nothing supernatural, as I don’t believe in ghosts. But was a sense of, “This is where she lived, where she slept, where she thought. Her voice, and that of her sister, would have echoed off these walls.” I took in a deep breath, and the wonderful wooded aroma of the room filled me. I breathed the same air, the same scents, and trod the same boards as she did.  

The water closet, complete with chamber pot was on display as well. I blushed a little, and then thought, “You know, the loo in my flat is off my bedroom as well. Some things never change.”

In another room, more of an alcove, I saw something I hadn’t before; a copy of Jane’s will. She didn’t leave a large estate, only about £860.00. In today’s money that would be £49,677.30 (approximate). Not bad for her time period, but not wealthy. Considering that £10,000 was the benchmark for prosperity in the Regency (that would net you about £465,252.00). That’s how much Mr. Darcy was set to make per annum! The little that remained of Jane’s estate was portioned out to family and friends; with a few pounds going to a woman who’d lost money in her brother Henry’s bank.



"I could no more write a romance than an epic poem. I could not sit seriously down to write a serious romance under any other motive than to save my life; and if it were indispensable for me to keep it up and never relax into laughing at myself or other people, I am sure I should be hung before I had finished the first chapter. No, I must keep to my own style and go on in my own way; and though I may never succeed again in that, I am convinced that I should totally fail in any other."--This quote is inscribed on the bench you see here. It was Jane's response to Mr. Clarke, The Prince of Wales' librarian, when he suggested she write a tatty romance novel. Letter dated April 1st, 1816. Jane knew how to throw shade...hence why the bench is in shade. 

After I stepped out of the cottage, I took a good look at it. It had low ceilings, and narrow stair cases; which was normal for when it was built (about 300 years before Jane was born). I observed the shingles, the bricks, the windows, and then thought, “That really is a nice house. By today’s standards that wouldn’t be a cottage at all. It’d be nice-sized family home.” But, considering that Jane, her sister, her mother, Martha Lloyd (later to become Lady Austen, when she married Jane’s brother, Francis) all occupied the same house…it must have been a bit crowded. Oh, and let’s not forget the servants as well!




These days the cottage is attended by both museum workers and volunteers. I sat in the garden, on the stone bench inscribed with one of Jane’s wittiest quotes. I took in the air and felt a sense of calm. The garden at the cottage is one of the most peaceful places I’ve experienced. I think the other visitors must have seen the ear-to-ear grin on my face, as I still couldn’t believe I was finally there.

For sale are various plants grown in the soil. I was tempted to take some home but knew that getting them through customs would be a bother. Still, I want a Jane Austen rose to plant and grow…eventually.

There is one other thing before I close this entry.

On the second floor is a glass case with several very special objects inside. I was reluctant to take photos of them, as I feel they should be seen in person; though fellow Janeites know what these objects are. The first is Jane’s shawl, made of muslin, and reportedly embroidered by her own hand. It’s shear, with little cross patterns. One could picture the fine, white fabric wrapped about her shoulders. Next to it is the beaded bracelet, with it’s white and sky-blue beads. It looks so modern and would have complemented the other notable pieces of jewelry on display; namely the topaz crosses (the rounded one was probably Jane’s, while the rectangular one was probably Cassandra’s cross). But the most obvious piece that stands out is Jane’s little ring.

The ring is a much-cherished artifact to Janeites. Reproductions of it, along with the bracelet, are readily available from the Jane Austen Centre in Bath. It features a simple design with a turquoise stone, which would have matched her hazel eyes. We’re not sure how Jane came to possess the ring. It’s believed it may have been a gift from one of her seafaring brothers, or possibly a minor indulgence Jane gave herself.

What we do know is that Cassandra held onto it after Jane’s death. It even comes with a letter from her big sister, which details the provenance of the ring. It was passed along to various Austen family members, until it came up for auction in 2012. Pop star Kelly Clarkson tried to buy it at auction but was prevented from doing so. An export ban was placed on the ring, as it was felt that too many national treasures were being sold and take away from Britain’s history. The museum was able to purchase the ring with funds from donations. I’m glad of that, as it does belong with its rightful owner in her own home. Such things should be on display for the world, and not hidden from public view. To allow such a lovely reminder of Jane to be on display is a credit to the museum, and her fandom. To have it locked away for no one to ever see again would be a tragedy.

The ring gives us an idea of the woman who wore it. Her tiny fingers that held quill and ink to paper. The same fingers that stitched the quilt that hangs nearby. Those slender fingers that made so many notes from the pianoforte fill the air of the cottage. The same fingers that gave us Emma Woodhouse, The Dashwood Sisters, Lizzie Bennet and her sisters, Mr. Darcy, Mr. Knightley, Miss Catherine Moreland, Anne Elliot, Capt. Wentworth, and countless letters to family and friends.  




Text and photos copyright Riley Joyce 2018.








This bronze was formerly installed in Winchester Cathedral for the 200th anniversary of Jane's death. It was sculpted and cast by the highly skilled Robert Truscott.
http://www.robtruscott.co.uk/

A note on the photos. I took all the photos you see here. The house and museum does allow you to take pictures, but they prefer you do it discreetly, and at a minimum. For images of Jane’s ring, shawl, and other artifacts I recommend you either visit the house (if you happen to be in the neighborhood) or, check out their website, which I’ve furnished a link to below. They have far better photos of the objects on display than I could have taken in minimal light, with limited access. The photo of the writing table was taken with a canon powershot camera. The outside/exterior shots were taken with my mobile phone. Please note that use of mobiles is not permitted inside the house and museum—for good reason. You don’t want some Candy Crush zombie leaning on the piano!    

Links and Sources



Jane Austen's House and Museum 
https://www.jane-austens-house-museum.org.uk/

Currency Converter: 1270-2017
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency-converter/#


Personal LinkHelp me finish my bachelors in Psychology! Every little bit helps. 
Donate via Go Fund Me. 
https://www.gofundme.com/manage/riley-joyce-university-funding




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14,965 Days

The Long Walk--Thoughts on Lockdown

House of Jane Part III: Meeting Mr. Knight(ly)