A Prayer for a Rose


It's been ages since I've written poetry. I've always preferred to write prose, though I feel that as a writer one should be able to write almost anything. I take great inspiration from poetry, and see it as an influence on my writing style. In these days of analytical writing (of which I am a part of) I feel that we analytical writers can learn a lot from poetry. 

As John Lennon once sang, "Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream." 

That's a lesson we can all learn. 

Allow your mind to drift, and read some verse. 

Over the next few entries I'll post some verses I've composed. He's one that I did recently as practice. 

A Prayer for A Rose
A prayer for a rose,
A rose of white.
A prayer to guide us
Through the night.

A rose of virtue,
A rose so fair.
A rose beyond compare.

A prayer for a rose,
A rose of red.
A prayer to guide us
To thy bed.

A rose of peace.
A rose of love.
A rose that runs
Through my blood.

A rose in winter
To bring us warmth.
A rose on a distant shore
To call us home.


Text and photo are Copyright Riley Joyce 2016


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14,965 Days

The Long Walk--Thoughts on Lockdown

House of Jane Part III: Meeting Mr. Knight(ly)